|Home » Dr. Gowrishankar » Publications
|DBT Centre of Excellence (CoE) for Microbial Biology - Publications
Publications of Dr. J Gowrishankar
- Gowrishankar J. (2015) End of the Beginning: Elongation and Termination Features of Alternative Modes of Chromosomal Replication Initiation in Bacteria. PLoS Genet 11(1): e1004909. doi:10.1371/journal.pgen.1004909.
- Gowrishankar, J., Krishna Leela, J., and Anupama, K. 2012. R-loops in bacterial transcription: Their causes and consequences. Transcription 4: 153.157. [PDF]
- Krishna Leela, J., Syeda, A.H., Anupama, K., and J. Gowrishankar. 2012. Rho-dependent transcription termination is essential to prevent excessive genome-wide R-loops in Escherichia coli. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 110: 258-263.[PDF]
- Marbaniang, C.N., and J. Gowrishankar. 2012. Transcriptional Cross-Regulation between Gram-Negative and Gram-Positive Bacteria, Demonstrated Using ArgP-argO of Escherichia coli and LysG-lysE of Corynebacterium glutamicum J Bacteriol. 194: 5657.5666. [PDF]
- Anupama, K., Krishna Leela, J., and J. Gowrishankar. 2011. Two pathways for RNase E action in Escherichia coli in vivo and bypass of its essentiality in mutants defective for Rho-dependent transcription termination. Mol Microbiol. 82:1330.1348. [PDF]
- Marbaniang, C.N., and J. Gowrishankar. 2011. Role of ArgP (IciA) in lysine-mediated repression in Escherichia coli. J Bacteriol. 193:5985-5996. [PDF]
- Saxena, S., and J. Gowrishankar.2011a. Modulation of Rho-dependent transcription termination in Escherichia coli by the H-NS family of proteins. J Bacteriol.193:3832.3841. [PDF]
- Saxena, S., and J. Gowrishankar. 2011b. Compromised factor-dependent transcription termination in a nusA mutant of Escherichia coli: spectrum of termination efficiencies generated by perturbations of Rho, NusG, NusA, and H-NS family of proteins. J Bacteriol. 193:3842.3850. [PDF]
- Laishram, R.S., and J. Gowrishankar. 2007. Environmental regulation operating at the promoter clearance step of bacterial transcription. Genes Dev. 21: 1258-1272. [PDF]
- Nandineni, M. R., R. S. Laishram, and J. Gowrishankar. 2004. Osmosensitivity associated with insertions in argP (iciA) or glnE in glutamate synthase (GOGAT)-deficient mutants of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 186:6391-6399. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., and R. Harinarayanan. 2004. Why is transcription coupled to translation in bacteria? Mol Microbiol. (in press). [PDF]
- Nandineni, M. R., and J. Gowrishankar. 2004. Evidence for an arginine exporter encoded by yggA (argO) that is regulated by the LysR-type transcriptional regulator ArgP in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 186:3539-3546. [PDF]
- Harinarayanan, R., and J. Gowrishankar. 2004. A dnaC mutation in Escherichia coli that affects copy number of ColE1-like plasmids and the PriA-PriB (but not Rep-PriC) pathway of chromosomal replication restart. Genetics166:1165-1176. [PDF]
- Bharatan, S. M., M. Reddy, and J. Gowrishankar. 2004. Distinct signatures for mutator sensitivity of lacZ reversions and for the spectrum of lacI/lacO forward mutations on the chromosome of nondividing Escherichia coli. Genetics166:681-692. [PDF]
- Harinarayanan, R., and J. Gowrishankar. 2003. Host factor titration by chromosomal R-loops as a mechanism for runaway plasmid replication in transcription termination-defective mutants of Escherichia coli. J. Mol. Biol. 332:31-46. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., K. Yamamoto, P.R. Subbarayan, and A. Ishihama. 2003. In vitro properties of RpoS (sS) mutants of Escherichia coli with postulated N-terminal subregion 1.1 or C-terminal region 4 deleted. J. Bacteriol. 185:2673-2679. [PDF]
- Rajkumari, K., and J. Gowrishankar. 2002. An N-terminally truncated RpoS (sS) protein in Escherichia coli is active in vivo and exhibits normal environmental regulation even in the absence of rpoS transcriptional and translational control signals. J. Bacteriol. 184:3167-3175. [PDF]
- SaiSree, L., M. Reddy, and J. Gowrishankar. 2001. IS186 insertion at a hot spot in the lon promoter as a basis for Lon protease deficiency of Escherichia coli B: identification of a consensus target sequence for IS186 transposition. J. Bacteriol. 183:6943-6946. [PDF]
- Rajkumari, K., and J. Gowrishankar. 2001. In vivo expression from the RpoS-dependent P1 promoter of the osmotically regulated proU operon in Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium: activation by rho and hns mutations and by cold stress. J. Bacteriol. 183:6543-6550. [PDF]
- Sardesai, A. A., and J. Gowrishankar. 2001. Improvement in K+-limited growth rate associated with expression of the N-terminal fragment of one subunit (KdpA) of the multi-subunit Kdp transporter in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 183:3515-3520. [PDF]
- Sardesai, A. A., and J. Gowrishankar. 2001. trans-Acting mutations in loci other than kdpDE that affect kdp operon regulation in Escherichia coli: effects of cytoplasmic thiol oxidation status and nucleoid protein H-NS on kdp expression. J. Bacteriol. 183:86-93. [PDF]
- SaiSree, L., M. Reddy, and J. Gowrishankar. 2000. lon incompatibility associated with mutations causing SOS induction: null uvrD alleles induce an SOS response in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 182:3151-3157. [PDF]
- Reddy, M., and J. Gowrishankar. 2000. Characterization of the uup locus and its role in transposon excisions and tandem repeat deletions in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 182:1978-1986. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., and A. J. Pittard. 1998. Superimposition of TyrR protein-mediated regulation on osmoresponsive transcription of Escherichia coli proU in vivo. J. Bacteriol. 180:6743-6748. [PDF]
- Rajkumari, K., A. Ishihama, and J. Gowrishankar. 1997. Evidence for transcription attenuation rendering cryptic a ss-dependent promoter of the osmotically regulated proU operon of Salmonella typhimurium. J. Bacteriol. 179:7169-7173. [PDF]
- Reddy, M., and J. Gowrishankar. 1997. A genetic strategy to demonstrate the occurrence of spontaneous mutations in nondividing cells within colonies of Escherichia coli. Genetics. 147:991-1001. [PDF]
- Bhandari, P., and J. Gowrishankar. 1997. An Escherichia coli host strain useful for efficient overproduction of cloned gene products with NaCl as the inducer. J. Bacteriol. 179:4403-4406. [PDF]
- Reddy, M., and J. Gowrishankar. 1997. Identification and characterization of ssb and uup mutants with increased frequency of precise excision of transposon Tn10 derivatives: nucleotide sequence of uup in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 179:2892-2899. [PDF]
- Rajkumari, K., S. Kusano, A. Ishihama, T. Mizuno, and J. Gowrishankar. 1996. Effects of H-NS and potassium glutamate on sS- and s70-directed transcription in vitro from osmotically regulated P1 and P2 promoters of proU in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 178:4176-4181. [PDF]
- Saroja, G.N., and J. Gowrishankar. 1996. Roles of SpoT and FNR in NH4+-assimilation and osmoregulation in GOGAT (glutamate synthase)-deficient mutants of Escherichia coli. JJ. Bacteriol. 178:4105-4114. [PDF]
- Manna, D., and J. Gowrishankar. 1994. Evidence for involvement of proteins HU and RpoS in transcription of the osmoresponsive proU operon in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 176:5378-5384. [PDF]
- Asha, H., and J. Gowrishankar. 1993. Regulation of kdp operon expression in Escherichia coli: evidence against turgor as signal for transcriptional control. J. Bacteriol 175:4528-4537. [PDF]
- Dattananda, C.S., K. Rajkumari, and J. Gowrishankar. 1991. Multiple mechanisms contribute to osmotic inducibility of proU operon expression in Escherichia coli: demonstration of two osmoresponsive promoters and of a negative regulatory element within the first structural gene. J. Bacteriol. 173:7481-7490. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J. 1989. Nucleotide sequence of the osmoregulatory proU operon of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 171:1923‑1931. Erratum. 172:1165. [PDF]
- Dattananda, C.S., and J. Gowrishankar. 1989. Osmoregulation in Escherichia coli: complementation analysis and gene protein relationships in the proU locus. J. Bacteriol. 171:1915-1922. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., P. Jayashree, and K. Rajkumari. 1986. Molecular cloning of an osmoregulatory locus in Escherichia coli: increased proU gene dosage results in enhanced osmotolerance. J. Bacteriol. 168:1197-1204. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J. 1986. proP-mediated proline transport also plays a role in Escherichia coli osmoregulation. J. Bacteriol. 166:331-333. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J. 1985. Identification of osmoresponsive genes in Escherichia coli: evidence for participation of potassium and proline transport systems in osmoregulation. J. Bacteriol. 164:434-445. [PDF]
- Pittard, J., J. Praszkier, A. Certoma, G. Eggertsson, J. Gowrishankar, G. Narasaiah, and M.J. Whipp. 1990. Evidence that there are only two tRNAPhe genes in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 172:6077-6083. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., and J. Pittard. 1982. Molecular cloning of pheR in Escherichia coli K‑12. J. Bacteriol. 152:1-6. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., and J. Pittard. 1982. Regulation of phenylalanine biosynthesis in Escherichia coli K-12: control of transcription of the pheA operon. J. Bacteriol. 150:1130‑1137. [PDF]
- Gowrishankar, J., and J. Pittard. 1982. Construction from Mu d1(lac Apr) lysogens of lambda bacteriophage bearing promoter‑lac fusions: isolation of l ppheA‑lac. J. Bacteriol. 150:1122‑1129. [PDF]
- Dramatically novel ideas. Curr. Sci. (2004) 87: 552.
- Book reviews of "Molecular epidemiology of bacterial infectious disease in an age of rapid DNA sequencing and the Internet" (by B.G. Spratt) and "Phage therapy: bacteriophage as natural, self-replicating and self-limiting antibiotics" (by E. Kutter). J. Genetics (2001) 80: 117-118.
- Sprucing up one's impact factor. (Correspondence). Nature (1999) 401:321-322. (coauthor : P. Divakar).
- Journal impact factors for the individual scientist: an unnecessary evil. (Commentary). Curr. Sci. (1999) 76: 1424-1425.
- Dogs wagged by bureaucratic tails (Letter). Curr. Sci. (1998) 75: 750-751.
- Patents on life forms: the case for. (Opinion). Curr. Sci. (1998) 74:727-729.
- Book review of "Plagues: their origin, history and future" (by C. Wills). Curr. Sci. (1996) 71:807-808.
- `Gene hunting' in India. (Correspondence). Nature (1996) 380: 664.
- Page charges and third-world scientists. (Letter). ASM News (1994) 60: 5.
- The 17th International Congress of Genetics 1993: a personal reflection. (Meeting report). J. Genetics (1993) 72: 99-102.
- What should India be doing in the human genome? (Opinion). Curr. Sci. (1993) 64: 705.
- Book review of "Bacterial genetics in natural environments" (by J.C. Fry and M.J. Day, eds.). J. Genetics (1991) 70: 129.
- Peer review. (Letter). Curr. Sci. (1990) 59: 7.
- Book review of "In quest of panacea: successes and failures of Yellapragada SubbaRow" (by S.P.K. Gupta in collaboration with E.L. Milford). New Swatantra Times (1990).
- Plant breeding and molecular biology: whither shall the twain meet? (Meeting report). Curr. Sci. (1990) 59: 301-302.
- Gowrishankar, J., P. Bhandari, and K. Rajkumari (Inventors). Process for producing polypeptides. United States Patent 5830690, issued 3 Nov 1998; Japan Patent 3375830, registered 29 Nov 2002; European Patent application 0729934 A1. Licensed to Life Technologies Inc., USA. Focus (1999) 21: 49-51. [PDF]
- Reddy, M., J. Gowrishankar, and S.M. Bharatan. Process for identifying mutagens and antimutagens. United States Patent 5,981,191 issued on 9 November, 1999.
|Last updated on : Wednesday, 29th June, 2016.